Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas forr a Vaccum Vapor System

Options
Steve_55
Steve_55 Member Posts: 30
At $4.00 plus a gallon at 1,200 gallons per year, I am finally biting the bullet and converting to Gas.

It is a great (and fairly large) 1927-era Vacuum Vapor System in very good working order.-- anything that I should be aware of?

Thank you

Steve

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Conversion burner or new boiler?

Either way, get it done right...

If it's done right, heat is heat and the system should work just fine.  If it's a new boiler, and the boiler isn't installed properly (there are a number of booby traps) you could find a number of disconcerting problems.  Which don't have to happen.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Steve_55
    Options
    Gas conversion for a vacuum vapor system

Thank you Jamie.

I am going for a new boiler.

Any possible pitfalls you can think of off hand that I should check on/be aware of?

Best,

Steve
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Three Words

Installer, Installer, Installer!!

Where are you located?

Rob
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Pitfalls...

There really are only two, but they are both critical -- especially on vapour systems.

First, the piping diagrams in the installation manual are minimums.  Absolute minimums.  Don't cheat.  Keep all the piping as shown or larger and/or higher.  Install a drop header if you can; they help a lot.

And be sure to use threaded black iron.  Don't use copper!

The second is the water line: you must keep the new waterline within an inch, up or down, from the old one.  Put the new boiler up on blocks if you have to, but keep that waterline where it is.  Vapour systems commonly have wet returns which must be kept wet, or they will work poorly if at all -- and changing the waterline is lethall.

Other than that... the obvious: size the boiler properly, by installed EDR.  Also, use a vapourstat for control, not a pressuretrol (or in addition to a pressuretrol).  Set it at no more than 12 ounces to begin with for the cutout.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Steve_55
    Options
    My Location

Belmont, Long Island. 
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Recomendation

You should call Joe with Thatcher Heating 732-494-help. Ask for Joe. He does some of the best steam work that I have seen and is a regular contributor here. He is based out of N.J. but I believe he travels into your area. If not, I am sure that he can recommend someone equally qualified.

Rob
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Or...

Or you could call my company? Lol, we're based out of Nassau County.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    LI

We could certainly work on the system but not do any work involving permits. Best bet is to find someone local.