Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Utica vs Lochinvar

JAG0202
JAG0202 Member Posts: 1
I am considering replacing our boiler with <span style="color:#000000">either a Utica SSC Wall Hung Stainless Steel Boiler or the Knight Lochinvar KBN081 (approx. 80 BTU for either).  Does anyone have any recommendations of one over the other?  Each was recommended by two vendors we received quotes from.  I understand both have similar efficiencies, both are modulating and both are condensing.  I just want to make sure I select one that will work like it claims to work and will require minimal maintenance.</span>

Thank you!

Comments

• Furnacelady
    Furnacelady Member Posts: 29
    Chevy vs Caddy

Says it all.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    edited May 2014
    Which ones the caddy?

The Utica looks like a nice heat exchanger design with low head loss. It has not been out for long.

The Lochinvar KBN series have high head loss Govanni exchangers. They are a higher maintenance, somewhat dated design.

I would put in the Lochinvar WH-085. It has the proven firetube exchanger developed by triangle tube.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • mtm100
    mtm100 Member Posts: 1
    Home owner

I am replacing my 1953 oil boiler that has a conversion burner for gas on it. I have 3 quotes which I feel are quite expensive. I would like to know where the One Lochinvar 95% AFUE Knight Boiler KBN 106 stands in comparison with 96% Slant Finn boiler and the Utica high efficiency.

My second question is about adding the indirect water heater/stainless steel lined or staying with AC Smith water heater I have. Opinion?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Why KBN?

The WHN is a much better design.  There are other options as well.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Chevy vs Caddy

Kind of a general statement and kind of funny . I see a lot more 50's era chevys than Caddy .  What do you think of Dunkirk Boilers  , right up there with Lochinvar ?   That is a trick question , both Dunkirk Helix and Utica SSC mod con boilers are produced by ECR International and both are very good units with a superior heat exchanger design .  They are in fact the same boiler . Chevy vs Caddy < furnace vs boiler
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    how did you get down to 2 boilers

I have an IBC in my house and have not had any problems.Installation is the key with any of these boilers,use an indirect and get the most out of the boiler,No water heater required.

Again there are many fantastic boilers,all about installation and maintenance.
  • steam247
    steam247 Member Posts: 12

how do the kbn 081 model condense, it looks like 1 heat exchanger. just looking for the science behind it. they have a funny shaped boiler

• GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889

I always giggle at comparisons like this. Cadillac may be fancy, but it's a piece of junk in the grand scheme of things. Does the same rule apply to these Dunkirk/Utica boilers? Let's throw the KBN aside for a minute- if you were to make a choice for your home, would it be the Helix/SSC or a WHN?

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226

I think you mean Giannoni. But I was told it just looks like one of those and has good modifications from the original. There. I just told you everything I have to offer on the subject.

Meanwhile, I'm not buying it that fire tube is a better design than water tube. So many welds. Such little passageways. I ain't having it. The new Lochinvars look like Veissmann inside. Same spiral, seamless water tube heat exchanger. I think they all have their plusses and minuses and at the level the OP is talking about, a less-than-100,000-BTU wall-hung boiler, the choice should be about anything other than "what's better". As many of us know, it's more about who's installing it and history of product support.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    GGross
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561

After seeing the number of triangle tube stud failures and the tendency for the fire tubes to collect sediment. I am not steadfast on my opinion from 8+ years ago🤦‍♂️

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    JohnNY
  • yellowdog
    yellowdog Member Posts: 155

the biggest thing i would factor in is who is going to be servicing your boiler when it fails in the middle of the night? do they have parts on hand and knowledge to replace what needs to be replaced? go with whatever brand your service supplier is most comfortable with.

Derheatmeister