Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Tub Noise

Options
Zman
Zman Member Posts: 7,569
I have a client who is replacing a self contained hot tub which sits on an exterior deck.

The existing tub is noticeably noisy. The sound seems to be the motor noise transmitting through the deck framing into the house framing.

The new tub will be a higher quality model. Does anyone have suggestions to reduce the noise? The first idea I have had is to install a high density mat under the new tub. Can anyone suggest a product?

Thank you in advance,

Carl
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
Albert Einstein

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Surface area

Carl ,

Any product that does not decrease the area of contact between the 2 won't help much .  I see builders all the time trying to make lower level rooms quieter by increasing the upper floor 's mass , this always fails .  You must find a way to decrease the surface contact area to lessen the vibration ,  Commercial buildings use a metal strip that has a small area of the product contacting studs and the drywall sticks out off the stud faces , works pretty well .  
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    mainly low frequency?

If it's mainly low frequency noise you need vibration isolation mounts on the motor and pump. I'd ask at a hot tub dealers to see if they know of anything.

This would be impractical for this problem but is good to illustrate one solution. I know using a small inner tube under a turntable is very effective for isolating it from footfalls or heavy bass. The tube is lightly inflated, the higher the inflation the worse the low frequency effectiveness. 

Hopefully the new tub will have better balancing on the motor and pump.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks guys,

What you are saying make a lot of sense. The energy has to go somewhere. I guess it is possible that the mat would change the frequency of the noise but not reduce it?

I am hopeful that the new tub is built much better.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    Just a homeowner, but....

I have a friend who went through this same thing.  The only solution that finally worked and actually improved the "look" was to cut a hole in the deck and build and independent structure to hold the hot tub.  It was basically a deck inside a deck and no part of the hot tub made physical contact with the main deck attached to the house.  This put the hot tub a bit lower as well which made it easier to climb in and out of.  It cost him a few extra bucks, but it was silent after that.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Options
    Isolate

KC's suggestion is truly the only way to reduce/eliminate the noise. Like others have mentioned, it's going to be an exercise in chasing your tail unless you decouple the tub from the structure. I've found chasing down noises highly subjective, my ears don't always hear what someone else hears.

Is it possible for them to turn the deck to a freestanding one?
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two