Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

changing chimney vent to thru wall vent

ren20
ren20 Member Posts: 1
hi, I am having a bit of situation going on. Been calling hvac contractors. Would love to get some opinions from you guys.

When I bought this house last month, the pre owner converted oil to gas heating. I asked for credit but they insisted they would hire someone to do it.

Now, the house has a new weil-mclain eg series 5 steam boiler and new stainless steel flue venting out the roof via chimney. water heater vent also connects to the SS flue.

as you guessed it, the chimney runs in the middle of the house. and im doing remodeling. the location of the chimney posts a problem. I want to remove it. at least from second floor all the way to roof.

we have to figure out how to re configure the vent. Is it even possible for my steam boiler(see model above)? The hvac guys are coming to take a look.

in the meantime, do you guys have any thoughts on this? I don’t have the budget to replace new boiler to a different unit that can vent thru wall.

Thx

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Somehow...

removing a chimney has never been something which I would recommend.  Being a rather solid and substantial piece of the house.  However...

There may be a way to configure the EG series for power wall venting.  It is not, however, found in the EG series installation manual, so it is likely something which Weil-McClain would be at the very least unhappy with.

To which I might add that the water heater needs to vent someplace, too...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England