Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Radiators???

Options
TimC1965
TimC1965 Member Posts: 3
Has anyone ever seen steam heat radiation done like this? These manifold and tube distributors run around the perimeter of an old mill building - some on the walls, some on the ceiling. I would love to see a btu output chart for them - manifold says they are Crane.......

Comments

• Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options
    What

No picture, I have to say that does sound like a steam system.
  • TimC1965
    Options
    Trying again

Thought I attached it last time........
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,287
    Options
    Neat!

I have seen those -- in an old mill building in a nearby town.  Work like a charm, except that the expansion roller supports are frozen on some of them so they have some rather impressive expansion noises.

Hear output charts?  Haven't a clue -- but they are pretty doggone simple, so I would think you could awfully close -- within a few percent, by simply measuring them up and calculating the actual surface area.  It's a bit tedious, but not that hard.  Then take your total square feet and multiply by our old familiar 240 and there you are in BTUh.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    ASHRAE Handbook

Here is a handy table. Look on table 5, it will give you what you're looking for.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 958
    Options
    Radiant Steam Heat

And one shouldn't underestimate how effective they are. Aside of the radiant heat emitted anywhere in direct view of the pipes, they also place a cushion of warm air at the ceiling which radically changes the mean radiant temperature of the ceiling, which can be quite cold on a top floor of those buildings. If suspended about 10 feet from factory windows and used alone without any perimeter radiators, the downward air current created by the windows pulls warm air from across the ceiling, indirectly tempering the chill of those windows and somewhat increasing the pipe coil's output due to increased "sideways" convection.

A very fine heat source.
    terry
  • TimC1965
    Options
    Thanks

I've been away for a bit so I'm a little late replying - Thanks for your input all