Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam novice

Options
jklmnop
jklmnop Member Posts: 1
I have a site with 3 large Clever Brooks boilers mod CB 360-500 (51,000MBH) and Clever Brooks wants me to run the boilers at 8 psi.  The problem is that I now have a Honeywell steam valve controlled by a Honeywell panel that is set for 2 to 3 psi.  There are 8 Buildings in this complex  and there are about 50 units per building and they have been recently fitted with the new green radiator controls and steam traps.  Just to mention the building F/Ts along with vacuum pumps were also done.  This past winter I had all the windows open and I am thinking that the buildings were built and designed in the early Fifties when I think all boilers were running at 2 to 3 pounds.  I am thinking that I need to reduce pressure to the eight buildings with a pressure reducing valve that would only allow 2 to 3 pounds into the building and allow the radiator controls and traps to do there job?  I am not sure but suspect that opening and closing a valve will not reduce pressure.  Over the years the boilers were run at the higher pressure and I was always rebuilding the vacuum pumps.  Just remember in going to the Dead Men's Steam School the less pressure the better.  Just wondering.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    The heating

really will work better on about 2 psi.  Quicker, more even, and that's what things are built for.

But that doesn't mean that you can't distribute the steam at a higher pressure -- 8 psi is not unreasonable.  There are some good reasons for doing that, in fact.  What you will need, though, is reliable pressure reducing valves for each building.  On/off valves won't do it.  There are several manufacturers which make these valves, in an array of styles and sizes and ranges.  Sparco and Armstrong come to mind, but I'm sure there are others...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 655
    Options
    Yes, you want

to operate with the lowest practical steam pressure for each building, with a pressure reducing valve for the supply for each building.

To get good life and performance from your vacuum pumps, you need low temperature condensate returning to them.  150 degrees or so, but the lower the better.  If you're seeing 180 degrees or more, the performance  and life of the vacuum pumps will be very poor.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.