Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

how to replace a thermo couple on a

add
add Member Posts: 94
buderus model gc124 18/3 sp ,do  I need to pull out the entire burner assembly in cluding the gas valve?thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    Boiler Service

Yes the burner tray comes out. Its not difficult. Shut off electric and gas. Take out 4 allen screws on top of gas valve that connect the gas valve 90 to the hard pipe. Remove the burner tray screws and disconnect the moles connections. The entire unit slides out. Then remove the pilot assemble screws once its out and replace. You might as well remove the top panel of the boiler jacket and brush down the heat exchanger then vacuum the combustion chamber before sliding everything back in.
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: [email protected]
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • add
    add Member Posts: 94
    What brand thermo couple

Should I use Honeywell or?... Thanks for your help I am an oil man,It is for a friend of a friend and could not find the manual ,I thought so but wasn't 100% sure.Thank you.
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    Honeywell

Or basically any universal coupler will do...
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: [email protected]
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,611
    edited March 2014
    Most of the time

you can remove the front burner cover and disconnect the thermocouple at the gas valve and then get down and reach in an loosen the nut that holds the thermocouple in place and unscrew it and then pull it out and replace it.

The question is why are you changing it, has it been tested by taking millivolt readings? See RESOURCES ABOVE THEN LIBRARY THEN TIM'S CLOSET FOR HOW TO DO THAT.

As for replacement it depends on the pilot but a Honeywell Q 340 will usually cover most applications, they run as far as durability and performance right next to a Johnson (now Baso Gas Controls LLC) Husky. If you are having issues with frequent changes a Baso K16LRA corrosion resistant, high temperature thermocouple will take care of that.