Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to gauge boiler temperature?

Options
The Gel
The Gel Member Posts: 3
I'm likely missing someting obvious here.  I am looking to skim my boiler (I'll have to install a port and so on) and everything I've seen says that I should maintain a temperature of 180 degrees.  First, how is temperature gauged?  I'm not under the impression that everyone has some sort of temperature probe attached to their boiler.  Second, how are people throttling the burner?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options
    The temperature

isn't that critical.  What you want to do is to avoid having it boil -- but keep it nice and hot.  Just below or at a simmer, in fact.  However, unlike a pot on a stove you can't see it -- so it is a little tricky to do.

Quite possibly the best bet is a candy thermometer (really!), and measure the temperature of the water coming out; if it's below about 180, switch the burner on and let it run until it gets up to 200 or so, maybe a little higher.  Then turn the burner off and let it cool down a bit.  And so on.  Until you get sick and tired of baby-sitting the thing.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • The Gel
    The Gel Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks

Interesting.  So I guess you really have to keep an eye on it.