Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heatmaker detonating on start up

Pelham
Pelham Member Posts: 3
My friend has a HeatMaker HW series that occasional will detonate on start up. What may be causing this? Could it be cross contamination?

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,611
    It could be depending on how

it is vented. Some of them got there air for combustion from within the room others used a separate venting process for products of combustion and air for combustion, then still others used a concentric venting process which would be susceptible to cross contamination. Remove the connection and using a combustion analyzer the CO2 for air coming back into the unit should not read above 1% if it does the vent integrity has let go.

Has the unit been serviced? If not the chamber needs taken apart and cleaned, make sure the burner is inspected to make sure it is not damaged. Then do a combustion analysis on the unit.
  • Pelham

It is a two pipe with concentric termination, 3" internal exhaust and 5" air intake pipe in a pipe configuration. The problem is sporadic, sometimes not having a problem for months and other times multiple times in a day.
  • Tim McElwain
    edited March 2014
    Is it on natural gas or

LP? I would still take it apart and clean it just to be sure and do a combustion test.
  • Pelham

Yes, LP....that is what I'll do after I get a gasket kit for the kettle.
  • Tim McElwain
    It could also be because of the

LP with very low out door temperatures LP can sometimes delay on ignition.

• Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Seen it

Check the burner. If it starts like a shotgun there is a opening in the burner letting out too much gas. The two I've seen the seam weld opened up. You'll see it when you clean it..
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717