Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Want opinions on thermostat location

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,675
I'm considering moving my thermostat tonight as I feel it's location is greatly effecting it.

The wall it is mounted on is exposed to a cold draft from the basement internally which cools the whole wall down. I also get cool air spilling over from the stairs that go up to the bedrooms, of course this is another issue but I still don't want it effecting the thermostat.

I originally thought the radiator being across from the thermostat was a good thing but now I'm not so sure which is a big reason for wanting to move it.

My plan is to mount the thermostat as shown in my childish drawing about 4 feet off the floor using a remodel plastic electrical box which I will lightly fill with fiberglass insulation just to make sure it doesn't effect things. The B vent is at least a good foot from the location but, is in the wall so I included it in the drawing. The wall never seems any warmer than anything else so I don't think the B vent is an issue. I feel the new location will also give it a better idea of the true temperature in the area.

What does everyone think? Good plan? Bad plan?
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• ChrisJ
    edited March 2014
    Options
    B vent

To give an idea on where the B vent is inside the wall I wish to mount the thermostat on here is a picture showing it.

This was taken after tearing the brick chimney down and installing the B vent but we had not closed the wall up yet. My plans are to mount the thermostat on the end of this wall.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,285
    Options
    Ought to work

I don't think the B vent will hurt it much -- there seems to be enough air in there.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Thermostat Locations:

I personally think that the thermostat in the present location is a better location in a "dead air" location. The proposed new location is in what I would consider to be an active location, sort of like a hall way. I'd do what I could to make the wall warm by insulating it. Even if I had to cut a hole in the sheetrock behind and filling it with blown in.

The other thing you can do that I have dome more than once is to take a Honeywell Red Hat wireless thermostat, mount it on a board, put the mated controls on the boiler, and move the thermostat around until you find a place that you think it works better.

When someone opens the outside door, the blast of cold air will effect the thermostat. That won't happen where it is now.

What kind of thermostat is it now? What kind of heat is it? Is the heat anticipator or cycle rate set properly?

Thermostats (in my opinion), need to be in dead air locations
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Cut hole in drywall?

Thank you all for responding.

Icesailor, cut a hole in the drywall? It's a 150 year old house. If it was as easy as cutting a hole in plaster I'd make me happy but that's never how my house seems to work.

The thermostat side is plaster and wood lathe. The basement side is tongue and groove and is maybe an inch from the thermostat side.

Not sure what is meant by dead air and active?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Old house thermostats:

That's one reason I suggested the wireless thermostat.

If you seal the hole that the wire comes through, you shouldn't get any draft through the hole. If the cellar is heated, the rising heat should make the top of the stairs warm. Get a infra-red heat thermometer gun and shoot the wall. Sii what the temperature. Its my experience that is you are going to have a problem, locate it in a drafty spot like you propose.

I've worked in a lot of old cribs and the thermostats are located in every conceivable place. They all work. Set the anticipators.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Update

Just wanted to update the thread with the results (hate it when people don't do that).

I moved the thermostat to the location on 3/14/14 and had wonderful results.  Much more consistent temperature control so I am very pleased with the change.  The thermostat is mounted to a old work electrical box with some Belden 18-4 wire going to it.
  • Coany
    Coany Member Posts: 91
    Options
    4' off the floor is too LOW

it will look funny forever , 60 inches is the standard.
    " Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Teddy Roosevelt
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    60"

Yep, I figured that out and have mine mounted 60" to the center of the tstat from the floor.