Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ultra 155

Options
init4years
init4years Member Posts: 2
Is the piping diagram in the install manual for the Weil Mclain ultra an antiquated design for a condensing modulating boiler, and would a larger primary loop work better in most applications ?

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    What is recommended in the

I and O manual is usually the best to follow. Why are you asking is there a problem?
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    install manual for the Weil Mclain ultra an antiquated design

I do not think the design W-M supply for near-boiler piping is antiquated. It seems to be quite similar to what John Seigenthaler shows in his big book. In  any case, I have never had any problems with the piping other than a ball valve whose bonnet needed tightening after a few months of operation, and a noisy circulator that needed to be replaced under warranty.

It might matter which W-M Ultra series you have. I have an Ultra 3 80, and I have read the Ultra 2 manual, though I no longer have a copy. Their piping diagrams were pretty much the same, if I remember correctly. W-M now make newer models that they do not call Ultra 4, and they seem about the same for piping as the Ultra 3s.

My installing contractor did a couple of things right. One was that they used 1 1/4 inch piping in the boiler loop, where for my model W-M said it must be at least 1 inch. This got the flow speed through the microbubble resorber to be lower.

The other thing they did was that W-M said the closely spaced Ts should be no more than 12 inches apart, but they put them 5 inches apart.
  • init4years
    init4years Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks

Thank you for the input  I was not confident in the generic answers I received from WM

tech support.  The customer is complaining,  but more about the installing contractor the the operation
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Photogenic Piping:

Post some pictures of the piping. Especially the closely spaced tees and their orientation.

My personal opinion and practice with a 1" primary loop with 1" closely spaced copper tees is through the runs with a 3" copper nipple between the tee's, on the run. Both horizontal or vertical. Not both, one horizontal and one vertical with a 90* or a Tee in between.

My practice. Maybe wrong.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Primary piping:

JM-BIf your boiler is smaller than a 155, it says that it must be 1" or larger. And the closely spaced tee's no farther apart that 12". You won an all counts.