Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BTU Radiator Output? (see attached photo)

Options
JoeLamari
JoeLamari Member Posts: 5
Trying to find the BTU output of the attached radiator on a linear foot basis? Any ideas on how to calculate the output? Assume water temperature in approximately 170 F.

Thanks Joe

Comments

• Robert_H
    Robert_H Member Posts: 141
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I cant see the picture

But here are two resources for determining radiator output.

http://www.columbiaheatingsupply.com/page_images/Sizing%20Cast%20Iron%20Radiator%20Heating%20Capacity%20Guide.pdf

http://nepacrossroads.com/about3401.html#p27381

there are many more resources available. Google "cast iron radiator output". using the dimensions of your radiator, you should be able to get close.
  • JoeLamari
    Options
    BTU Radiator Output? (see attached photo) Here is the Picture!

Thanks for the help and here is the picture.

It appears to be a cast iron or steel fin tube radiator. It is approximately 10 inches wide, 2 inches in height and 4 feet long. It looks like there is one main feed pipe that separates into five pipes with fins and then it joins on the output side.

I haven't been able to find this type of radiator. Any ideas on how to calculate the BTU output?

Thanks again Joe.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Height?

What's the height of the enclosure?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • JoeLamari
    Options
    Enclousre Height

The enclosure height is about 2 feet with expanded metal providing the ventilation.

Joe
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited March 2014
    Options
    BTU output

What type of enclosure? Is there some kind of duct/air in/ air out/ fan? The heat doesn't get trapped?
  • JoeLamari
    Options
    Enclousre

The enclosure is a typical vented metal enclosure on a wood frame. It would be helpful if I were able to calculate the BTU output assuming there is no enclosure and also with the enclosure.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Height

The height should either be 20" or 28".

At 20", the btu output would be 11,190; at 28", the output would be 11,745. These values are approximate as you did not give the make, but ratings are pretty standard for these. Any enclosure modifications could substantially effect the output.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • JoeLamari
    Options
    Just Wanted to Confirm

The radiator is a fin tube with one feed and outlet pipe 3/4 diameter feeding five tubes. In other words, it has only one feed that branches into five tubes and then joins as a single pipe out.  The five fin tubes overall dimensions are 4ft in length, 10 inches in height and 2 inches wide. Water temperature entering the radiator is about 170 degrees F. To me 12,000 BTU/hr sounds high, that's 3,00 BTU per ft.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Joe
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    Options
    Ok....

it's NOT a radiator. It's a Wall Convector.