Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

lennox gwb8-150e-2

Does anyone have any feedback on the reliability of a Lennox GWB8-150E-2

My gas boiler has stopped working after 35 years and I need to replace. I'm a single mom and this area is all new to me.  any guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    ok boiler

Its an ok boiler, not the most efficient but not a lot of things to go wrong. The boiler is made by Dunkirk for Lennox and should be reliable if its installed correctly. .Being a Lennox I bet who ever who quoted the boiler is probably more of a forced air furnace company so be careful. I would make sure whoever speced out that boiler did a heat loss calculation to make sure its sized right since that's a fairly large boiler. I would try to get a few estimates and whoever does a heat loss calc, I'd lean toward them.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    Good Advice

I would second what Slim has said and re-iterate that you find a good HYDRONICS contractor. The installer is 98% of the equation and there's a whole lot more to this than just joining pipes.

I also question that boiler size, unless your house is very large or leaky. Don't let someone size the new boiler based upon the size of the old one - send that hack packing. A load calc is essential and easy to do.

Find a good wet head that will do a load calc and take his recommendation for a boiler.

By the way, Dunkirk makes good products, particularly their "Laser Tuber" boiler which is advertised at the bottom of the page under "product of the month". The Utica SSC is the same boiler.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.