Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wrong place for indirect water heater branch?

Options
heatingFun
heatingFun Member Posts: 84
I asked the plumber to leave points for future indirect water heater 3 yrs ago when the new gas boiler was installing. I paid extra for labor and parts just for this. By comparing with the installation manual (attached 1 page pdf file) from the boiler maker, I found he was not done it right.  He branched the indirect in wrong place, I think. Anybody can correct me or confirm my opinion.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Indirect Connections

That is the correct method for attaching an indirect to the Alpine. It must have its own circ which is properly sized for the pressure drop of the indirect AS WELL AS the pressure drop of the boiler's heat exchanger. The circ should be wired directly to the boilers "Domestic Circ" terminals and the control set to run only that circ during a domestic call.Both circ's also need flow checks.

Using the method in the diagram requires that both circ's run at the same time. Burnham uses this diagram because it assures that the boiler heat exchanger will always have the proper flow rate regardless of the flow rate through the indirect. They're trying to protect the boiler from an installer that doesn't know how to size a circ properly.

Again, it's critical that the circ be sized properly to maintain the necessary flow rate through the boiler's heat exchanger.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.