Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crown boiler doesnt keep up with thermostat

Options
Hello People,

I need help.  I have a 2flat building which is heated by a Crown gas boiler, 4 years old. In the second floor there are 5 radiators and on the first floor there were only 2.

During the first polar vortex at the beginning of January, the temp in the apartment dropped to 50 degrees. I called a company, they came out, told me I needed to add at least one more radiator on the first floor. It got done, but it didn't make a difference. Once the temp dropped below zero the boiler wouldn't keep up with the thermostat.

So I thought it might be an issue with the thermostat itself, which is a battery operated. Went out got a reasonably priced since there are only two cables coming out of the wall. I do not have a/c.

Here are some notes to add, I seen the water pressure go from 345 in the beginning of January and now its at 475. There is some type of measuring thing its always at 0. and the auto ignition pilot is making a funny noise. Now, the first guy that came said the noise is normal but I don't remember it making any type of noise during the previous years. I doubt this is enough information so please ask ask ask plenty of questions!!!

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Pictures....

lots of pictures... they say a lot.
  • Bonnie_r
    Bonnie_r Member Posts: 9
    Options

By the way, its a steam system. and the blue box is a Programmable water feeder.
  • Bonnie_r
    Bonnie_r Member Posts: 9
    Options

more pics
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Thats not....

water pressure that's gallons of water. And that's A LOT of water!

Its not piped right. Not vented right. Who cut the draft hood! No Hartford loop. The Header is improperly sized....

Its  not  insulated...UGH. What a mess. You need a steam expert to start again.
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    Options
    Boiler piped wrong

Your boiler needs a lot of attention needs to be repiped and venting needs to be upgraded
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    First things first, I guess...

Do  you have the model number of that boiler?  It should be on the nameplate.  That will help us figure if it at least has the potential to keep up.

K is right.  That's way too much water.  In fact, I find it a little hard to believe that you are using that much water.  Somewhere there is a leak -- a good sized leak.  When the boiler is firing, do you see steam (white clouds) coming out of the chimney?  Do you find evidence of water somewhere in the basement?

K is also right in saying the boiler is piped rather poorly, and all the pipes should be insulated.

When it is really cold, does the boiler ever shut itself off for a bit, and then turn back on, even though the thermostat is still calling for heat?

That's for starters.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Pressure is too high

In addition to all the other problems it looks like your pressure is too high, a steam system should operate at less than 2PSI. I can't tell exactly where you are set but it's too high. can you take a picture of the face of the pressuretrol so I can see where it's set?

You really have to have that boiler looked at by someone who knows and understands steam. Where do you live, perhaps one of the pro's is in your area.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Ah...

I found your other thread in gas heating.  And you did give the boiler model number and rating there.  Thank you!  It really should be able to keep up with seven or eight radiators.

That, and the fact that you mention in the other thread that it doesn't shut off on pressure even on long runs, combined with what may be the water usage (I still have trouble with that number -- but even if it is litres it's way high) suggests rather strongly that you have some real problems -- besides the rather obvious ones which have been mentioned.

Keep up with the questions and answers, and we will do what we can, but with something like this -- as others have said -- it would be best if you could get one of the real experts here on the Wall to take a look at it.  Either let us know just where you are, or take a look at "Find a Contractor" up top.  Look by State rather than zip -- it works better that way.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • fixitguy
    fixitguy Member Posts: 91
    Options
    Hmmm

This is very possibly one of the worst jobs that I have seen in quite some time. Where does one even start!