Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

In-wall heaters for basement

Options
Vevan21
Vevan21 Member Posts: 1
Hello,

I am in the process of finishing my basement and have a question about wall heaters. I have attached a floor plan of the layout so you can see what I am working with. The middle area will be with finished portion with the 2 unfinished parts on either side. They will be insulated from each other. The finished area is about 22' x 19', 418 sq.ft., with ceilings between 7.5' and 8'

Right now just the framing is up and I plan on bringing the electrician in next. There is a duct running along the left side of this layout which I was going to tap into via 2 registers for heating and A/C, more for the heating. However, the contractors I'm working with say that it might not be sufficient enough and I could take away from the pressure to the rest of the house. So I have 2 questions:

1) If I put the registers in, it would have to be on the BOTTOM side of the duct. If I do this, will that not work? Just going off the fact that heat rises, would the air stay towards the top of the duct when passing by, and little, if any, air would actually come out the bottom registers? Also, the air that does come out, would it have a hard time heating closer to the floor?

2) The contractor suggested getting an in-wall heating unit. It would be electrical and a good time to decide now and have the electrician install it while everything is exposed. However, I cannot find anything online (Home Depot/Lowes) that can heat 420 sq.ft., the most I found was 375 sq.ft. Would I have to get 2?

If anyone has some answers to the above and some suggestions for wall heating units that would be great. I'm not sure where to look and I would prefer it is stylish and not an eyesore.

Thank you!

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Contractor

It sounds like you need to get a HVAC contractor to have a look.

I would pursue the option of tying into the existing system first. The majority of furnaces are oversized to the actual heat loss and basements generally do not require a whole lot of heat. Registers from above will work just fine if done correctly.

Someone needs to do a heat  loss calc on the house and then check the capacities of the existing ducts. I would be surprised if it cannot be done.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein