Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oops

Options
yep, I grabbed the wrong roll and used aquapex instead of heapex in baseboard system with THP mc50 condensing boiler.  The only ferrous componants are taco7 pump and extroll 15 expansion tank and a few iron fittings to the expansion tank.  The heat exchanger is stainless and I used cryo-tek100 mixed 50/50 with water.  There is about 200 ft of 3/4 aquapex and 2 zones (zone valves not pumps).  The crawl space is terrible (of course) so I hate to replace the tubing although I will if i am confinced I need to.  This is in a house I own as a rental, thank god it was'nt in a customers house.  I could leave it and run it as is and check the chemistry often, or I could change out the pump and exp. tank for non ferrous or I could go through the awful trouble of replacing the tubing with an oxygen barrier tubing.  Any insight on this one?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    You are fine.

There are tons of old non barrier systems out there. Replacing the expansion tank and fittings is a must, you just don't want to have all that debris running around in your system. The right thing to do would be to go with a ss circ as well. I have seen some cast circs survive for a long time in 02 environments. with a high temp system the conditions will be worse. I would change the circ as well.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Replace what you can

when you can, but add some inhibitor ASAP.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    that glycol

O2 inhibitors blended in. Maybe check the fluid every couple years and boost the inhibitor if needed. Run the system fluid temperature as low as possible, higher fluid= more O2 ingress.

Actually the fewer ferrous components the more localized the corrosion. I have seen systems converted to all non ferrous but the expansion tank, and the tanks pinhole within the first year. Called the relative area effect, more metal to spread the O2 across.

I don't think you have a serious concern, just check the fluid yearly.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream