Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressuretrol keeps cutting off boiler

Boiler keeps turning off.  I go to the basement and touch, just barely touch, the screw on the differential wheel of the pressuretrol and it clicks and boiler turns back on.  Picture of pressuretrol below.

The boiler has been working fine except for rooms upstairs being too hot and some hissing/spitting from air vents.  So I thought I would try turning the pressure down from 1psi to .5psi.  Did that yesterday and ever since this problem has been happening.  Seems to turn off every hour or two.  I put the pressure back to 1psi and it is still happening.

Is this common?  Easily fixable?  Or do I need to move into the basement 24/7 until I can get someone to come replace the pressuretrol?

Comments

• Bullethead
    Bullethead Member Posts: 21
    Pressuretrol keeps cutting off boiler

It is has cut out twice more.  Once I tried touchy the screw on the differential wheel with scissors and it turned on.  Then I tried my finger.  The very lightest touch of the screw and it clicked and turned on.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,173
    That type of pressuretrol

just isn't reliable at that low a pressure.  Try turning it back up to 1.5...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Bullethead
    It was working fine at 1psi before-fingers and scissors

What is happening when I touch the screw that kicks it back on?
  • Bullethead
    Have to touch Pressuretrol every 30 mins to keep boiler running

I am in the basement now every 30 minutes to keep the boiler running.  I have to touch the screw on the differential wheel very lightly and it "clicks" and seems to go in slightly.  The boiler kicks back on.  What could this be?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,173
    It's just a guess

but I'm going to guess two things: first, something may have come adrift in the linkages when you lowered the pressure.  This is by no means unheard of.

Second, the differential may be so great that it trips off, but won't trip back on.

Check both, and if you find something has come adrift, when you put it back together make sure that you set it high enough so it doesn't happen again.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Bullethead
    How do I check if something is adrift?

Thanks but not sure exactly what to check to see if adrift.  I just turned it up to 1.5 psi and 1.5 on the differential. Maybe this will make a difference?  What else can I try?