Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Split loop question, zone always seems hot, no sure what to do with valve

I have 6 zones FHW with a Peerless boiler and zone valve setup. I have never had a split loop or understand it correctly. I read Dan's paper on it and it definitely helped but I still have a question.

Basically my house is 50% on one zone and the others are smaller. The "main zone" seems to be getting some heat out of the baseboard long after the thermostat is off. Seems to be less than full heat and I was told that I have a split zone for this main zone. In my boiler room oe shut off valve is labelled split and I am not sure of two things?

1) Do I partially close or close the valve all the way?

2) Could this be why the zone seems to alays be a little hot?

Sorry for the basic question but I am having a hard time to find the answer or how to use this split zone.

Thank you kindly,

Chris

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Ghosting

It sound like you are experiencing some sort of ghosting. It may have nothing to do with having a split zone.

Could you post some pictures or a drawing?

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • cwilliams2000
    cwilliams2000 Member Posts: 140
    More info

I will try to get some pics. I looked closer at it, and it appears that only part of the split loop is warm, the other 1/2 is ice cold when off. Not sure what difference that makes but I just realized that only some of the baseboard is warm.
  • Does the zone valve close all the way?

Sometimes you can get solder or other materials caught in the zone valve body, preventing it from closing when satisfied. Or if its old it may not close all the way either. If you feel the pipe upstream of the zone valve when its not open and its as hot as the others, it may be this problem. You can also take the actuator off the valve body and see if the valve stem has as much movement as the other valves. Just something to look for.
  • cwilliams2000
    cwilliams2000 Member Posts: 140
    Took your advice

So I removed the zone head and used welding clamps to gently squeeze the head open and closed a few times. It seemed to feel ok but later today I will check the temps again before and after to see what else it might be doing.