Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler not heating well

Options
I have a Peerless EC 04-175-S boiler that has a gas fired Carlin G3B power burner. It replaced an old coal fired steam boiler that was converted to gas.

My house is only about 1100 sq/ft and during very cold spells when the temperature drops in the single digits, the boiler can barely hold a temperature in the low 60's.The furthest radiator on the system (the bedroom of course) never really gets "hot" only warm. when the temperature outside is 20 degrees or above, it keeps the room warm enough.

I noticed when the boiler was first installed the LWCO had a "feature" I hadn't seen before. The Hydrolevel Cycleguard CG450 has an "Intermittent Level Test" and "Smartcycle" which I think shuts the burner every 10 minutes.

I am thinking the LWCO is preventing the boiler to provide a full head of steam required to reach the bedroom radiator and satisfying the load.

Has anyone ever had any experience or problems with this LWCO or do you think the problem may lie elsewhere?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    You are not alone...

Apparently others have this problem. Here is a post I found while searching The Wall. There are many others dealing with this same issue.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/139552/Cycle-Guard-on-Hydrolevel-LWCO
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,373
    Options
    Could be

the Cycleguard -- one does sort of vaguely wonder what they were thinking -- but it could also be...

Is the boiler and burner properly sized to the load?

Is the venting adequate, particularly on the line going to that cold radiator?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Cold

Could be low gas pressure. In NJ, when everybody in town is using their heat 24 hours a day, the gas supply is just not enough to keep up with the demand. I would have somebody come to check it out an verify that the pressure is adequate.