Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler losing water

Options
gibson
gibson Member Posts: 15
I have a one pipe, oil fired boiler. It's losing about a quart of water per day - only when running in winter. The returns below the water line are above ground and tested good. I overfilled the boiler with no leaks. I found one vent that won't close- all others are good. Is it possible that a quart of water could escape (as steam) through one vent in one day?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,289
    Options
    Maybe...

particularly in the winter time, when the air in the house is very dry in the winter.  One quart of water isn't, in the form of humidity in the air, all that much.

However, adding that much water to the boiler isn't going to help it live a long and happy life.  If you know you have a vent which leaks steam, I would recommend first trying to clean it (try soaking it in vinegar) and, if that doesn't work, replacing it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • conversiontime
    conversiontime Member Posts: 87
    Options
    seems high

That basically is average almost 2 gallons a week which seems way beyond normal steam venting loss. During the coldest parts of winter here (-10 to 20F avg range) 1-2 quarts max is added per month and that is with boiler firing at least 6hours/day. It could be leaking into the firebox but one would think at that rate it would be noticeable.
  • archibald tuttle
    archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,085
    edited January 2014
    Options
    can you see in the firebox for inspection?

ironically, if it is leaking in the firebox, might be mostly when it is cold.  heats up /tightens up.  can you can get a look see? 

sounds like you've been over most of the system.

stuffing boxes around radiator valves all seem tight?

how big is the system all told?  if you really think it is all tight as drum but for the one air valve a quart seems a bit much but on a big loose system that doesn't seem too much.

brian