Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Balancing Steam System

Options
I've got a single pipe steam system that has had a recent boiler replacement. Its a Burnham IN6, and appears to have been installed by the book. The system is running well, all radiators get hot around the same time, and no steam noises are noted, other than occasional light valve hissing. The pressuretrol is set at 2 psi with a 1 psi differential (subtractive). But my 2nd floor is always running around 5 degrees warmer than my 1st floor. The thermostat is on the 1st floor. The radiator valves are adjustable, and I've tinkered with them in an attempt to balance to no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,373
    Options
    Single pipe steam

cannot be adjusted with the radiator inlet valves; they have to be either open all the way or closed.

What you can do, however, is change or adjust the vents on the radiators.  Try putting slower vents -- or, if they are adjustable, slowing them -- on the upstairs radiators.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Stan_13
    Stan_13 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Valves vs Vents

All the radiator valves are all the way open.  I've actually been adjusting the vents.  Sorry if I've confused the terminology.  I started with the vents all set the same, and progressed to having the upstairs vents set mostly towards closed, and the downstairs vents set mostly toward open.  But it didn't seem to make much difference.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Balancing the system venting

First of all, how are your main vents? If you hear much noise from your radiator vents, you probably need more main venting.

Keep your pressure down as far below 2 psi as you can get it, as only a few ounces of pressure are needed to heat.--NBC
  • Stan_13
    Stan_13 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Main Vents

The system has two mains, each going to a different side of the house. One main has a Gorton #1 vent at the end of the main, and no vent on the dry return. The other main has no vent on the main, but has one on the dry return. This one looks like a small torpedo, and looks pretty old and crusty.