Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Always Something

Options
This morning, our house was freezing. Went down and checked the boiler and it was empty. I checked it before I went to bed and it was fine. Filled it and sent for heat, the main valve, again, wasn't holding up. I replaced it again, hoping that it was the issue, and it seemed to work fine. Went to work, came home, boiler was empty again!

Here's the kicker, after I refilled it, I hung around again to watch the cycle. To me, it sounds like the steam is escaping from the boiler and out of the exhaust. Ugh.

Here's a quick video to hear the sound. The boiler isn't firing at the moment, this is after it gets pressurized...

<a href="http://s290.photobucket.com/user/terryejett/media/Mobile%20Uploads/61819CF1-2759-47AC-A65F-0A41DDF61D11.mp4.html">http://s290.photobucket.com/user/terryejett/media/Mobile%20Uploads/61819CF1-2759-47AC-A65F-0A41DDF61D11.mp4.html</a>

Ideas? Am I screwed?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,373
    Options
    Well now...

I really can't hear it.  But then, I'm elderly and my wife and kids insist that I'm deaf!

However, if the steam is going out the exhaust, the surest way to find it is to look at the chimney when the boiler is operating.  Wisps of white smoke are OK, particularly if it is humid.  However if you see a reasonably solid cloud of white smoke, that's not OK.

You can sometimes confirm a leak from the water side to the fire side of a boiler by overfilling it and looking in the firebox to see if you see water in there.

Now.  By "the boiler was empty" do you mean empty empty?  Or do you mean shut off on the low water cutoff, perhaps with no water showing in the glass?  If you mean empty empty, you have major trouble on your hands and, honestly, I wouldn't try to fire the boiler again until I found out where the water was going.  If there's any chance the boiler was fired when it was dry, it needs a full inspection by a really good pro.   If it was off on the low water cutoff, you might have a serious leak in a wet return, instead of a leak in the boiler.

You'd notice a leak that size in a steam line in the house.  Believe me, you'd notice it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,734
    Options
    Pressure

It's hard to see but is the 30 PSI gauge reading 5 PSI in that video?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jettster
    Jettster Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Yup

I meant, the low water cut off kicks in, water returns to the boiler, fills it up, and the cycle starts again. I hear steam from the back of the boiler up into the exhaust. It didn't make that sound yesterday.

I'm stressed as we have a 4 year old and twins on the way.
  • Jettster
    Options
    5psi

Yes it's reading 5psi
  • Jettster
    Options
    Stop Leak

Anyone use this? We're just trying to get through this season without having to pull and replace. Obviously, we'll do it if we have to, but we will most likely be short-selling our house in the spring.