Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler help

Options
Repaifarm
Repaifarm Member Posts: 2
I am new to this site so if I am doing something wrong please tell me. I was referred to this site by an Ag forum.

We are planning on building a new house shop combination the house will be 30 x 50 with a 30 x 30 garage that will be built into a 100 x 120' with 20 foot sidewalls shop. There will be living quarters above the garage. We are planning on using spray foam insulation and am thinking it will be steel construction. The shop will have 2 - 20 x 18 overhead doors with a swing outpost on one and and a 16 x14 foot overhead door on the other end. We would like have in floor heat.

We have a very good supply of corncobs sawdust and wood chips and would like to heat this building with a boiler that is outside of the building we would like to have this boiler have a stoker like the old coal furnace  So can you help me out with information? I have searched the Internet and think there is one that might work in West Virginia but that is a long ways away from South Dakota.

If you have any questions you can contact me at <a href="mailto:repairmarm@gmail.com">repairmarm@gmail.com</a>

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,337
    Options
    There will be lots of questions, but see what we can do

First off -- radiant floors (your in floor heat) are probably a good choice.  Would these be concrete floors?  Or would it be wood floors with the radiation stapled up beneath (and then insulated!).  Makes a difference.

The first thing to do though, is to sketch out your floor plans and what's where, and figure out what your heat loss will be.  There are several programs available to do that.  Ideally, you will do it on a space by space basis, so that later when you design the heating you can decide just how much heat goes into which spaces, to keep them the way you want them.

But the overall heat loss is the most important factor.  Once you have that, you can begin really looking for outdoor boilers such as you mention.  They do exist -- but they are a little rare.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Repaifarm
    Repaifarm Member Posts: 2
    Options
    boiler help

The house and shop will be concrete floors the living quarters above the garage will be wood floors.  I would like all tile floors in the house but my half to give in and have carpet in the bedrooms and living room.I am thinking either baseboard heaters or a air handler for the living quarters above the garage.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Start Here

Sign up for Taco's FloPro University. It's free, and they have online tutorials that guide you through the process, start to finish. It will be much easier, if you understand exactly what is involved.I think you'll find the process fascinating, and enjoy the tutorials. Once you have absorbed as much of that information as possible, there are other resources that are more specific to your situation, but these are the building blocks you need first.  http://www.taco-hvac.com/