Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex Expansion without tool?

WoNHUSA
WoNHUSA Member Posts: 34
I am a homeowner installing my my own Pex for a new heating system. I will be installing radiant panels for two rooms. With the parts I have, I will need to make only 4 expansion connections with the Pex. I can't find an expansion tool at any of the local tool rental sites, and don't really want to have to buy a $350 tool to make the 4 connections.

Is the a way to expand the Pex and fitting with some sort of an inexpensive tool, device or "homemade" expansion tool? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Compression fittings

You don't have to use expansion fittings. If you elect to use the expansion type, you will need the tool.

If I were you, I would use compression fittings.

Shark bite and crimp fittings would also be an option.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • WoNHUSA
    Can I use different tubing?

The Pex for the radiant is hePex, which I guess if supposed to be used with the aluminum panels. The outside diameter of the 1/2" hePex is the same as 1/2" oxygen barrier pex that is used with a crimp installation tool (which I have).

Is it okay not to use the hePex in the Uponor Joist Trak panels? It would be easier to use the 1/2" crimp fitting tubing (Mr. Pex Oxygen Barrier is what I have compared to the hePex).
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited January 2014
    PEXes

Uponor hePEX and Mr. PEX tubing are both made from PEX-A resin, and are therefore compatible with all types of PEX fittings.

For the record, PEX-B and PEX-C resins are only compatible with crimp fittings (do not use them with with expansion fitings.)
  • WoNHUSA
    use different tubing?

Thanks for the info...Can I use the Mr. Pex type a Oxygen barrier in the Joist Trak? The Mr. Pex is compression fitting and the Uponor hePex is expansion and I do not have that tool and it is pricey for the 4 fittings I need to make.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    PEX tubing

as long as it's SDR9 PEX, it will work in Joist-Trak.  Both Mr. PEX and Uponor have non-slip coatings on their exterior which help minimize expansion noise.  Not sure about other brands.
  • M Lane
    M Lane Member Posts: 123
    edited January 2014
    Watts Al-Pex

uses 2 kinds of compression fittings, wrench-able and crimp; often the supplier you get it from lends you the crimp tool.

I've used the brass Cash-Acme crimp fittings for Wirsbo HePex before too.