Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Something Interesting to noodle over.

Harvey Ramer
Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
So we know with electricity as an energy source for heating, we basically have 2 choices or methods to utilize the power. One would be resistance which is essentially 100% efficient. The other uses electromagnetism to rotate a compressor which uses refrigerant as a medium to transport BTUs in a usable form.

A new player on the block? I guess we have to wait and see. This device uses electromagnetism to rotate a cylindrical device that generates heat through controlled friction. While it is an interesting concept, I will reserve my opinions till I see some real test data.

Check it out.

<a href="http://www.mainebiz.biz/article/20130827/NEWS06/130829948/inventor-tests-new-heating-device-at-usm">http://www.mainebiz.biz/article/20130827/NEWS06/130829948/inventor-tests-new-heating-device-at-usm</a>

Comments

• Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    edited January 2014
    Geo

Geothermal gets most of the heat generated by drawing it from the earth or the air.

Approx. 1/4 from electric/mechanical friction, 3/4 from earth.

Anything that would use friction or mechanical resistance common sense says wouldn't be any better than straight electric.

You can't create energy, you can transform it or change it from one form to another.

The only way you are going to get more energy out of a mechanical device than what is put in is IF it uses something that depletes and has to be replaced. ( wear blocks, reactant, something that produces more heat when rubbed  then friction can cause )
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    What?

How could this be more efficient than resistance heat?

It could be potentially more noisy, but not more than 100% efficient.

Interestingly, electric heating is only 30% efficient from the original source of combustion.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Something which can get a big government grant

I wonder if this study has anything to do with the infamous Amish heater.--NBC
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Perpetual Motion Devices:

That looks like a electric motor running that device. Nothing is free.

Add the expense of transmission line loss into the electric power equation and there emerges a whole other picture. I was watching something on TV yesterday where they move huge buildings in Canada. They moved this house with a metal roof 50 miles. They came upon a high voltage transmission line of over 130,000 volts. If the house and the guys on the roof came within 8' of the overhead lines, the house would have been destroyed and the crew vaporized. If they turn off the power to the lines, where does the power in the lines go? If it was a pipe full of water, it stays in the pipe until it is drained. Until you drain it.

It sounds like that non-existent Perpetual Motion Machine. The one inventors have been trying to invent for thousands of years. Like the Gold from Sea Water idea.
  • icesailor
    What's More:

You've been reading too much contrary information.

The same information that I have read for years.

Consider this (or I ask), what is the transmission loss of Natural Gas in this country where the gas is lost through leaks into the atmosphere in remote places? We know that in cities, water utilities lose millions of gallons yearly from old leaking water mains. Leaking curb stops, corporation cocks and underground main shut-off valves through stem packing's.

We ALL pay.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Pretty simplistic

Like everything else that produces heat from friction. The biggest challenge is turning that heat into something useful preferably stored energy. The biggest hurdle he has yet to cross is harnessing that heat he is making.

I'm with Carl how is this efficient?

The big one ME posted a long time ago is fly wheel energy storage..
  • Gordy
    Left over electricity

Ice that electricity in the line gets routed through an alternate line upstream. What's in the line gets used down stream once everything is switched over to make that line dead.

In order to be considered out of service that section of power line has to have a visible ground at BOTH ends of the area work will be taking place at. This prevents power from back feeding into the work area from a secondary line down stream, and upstream that may have been over looked in the tag out process.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Left over electricity

When ever I unplug an extension cord I always plug the two ends together as fast as I can to save the left over electricity in the cord . What I have found is the next time I use the cord

I pull it apart , plug the male end in and instantaneously there is electricity at the female end.

I never have to wait for the cord to fill up. Waste not want not .
    bob
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Techniques

Bob,

That is a good tip.

When I am moving my Amish fireplace around, I always unplug it from the wall first and drain the electricity back into the heater.

I got the idea from dumping the tanks in my camper

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    I seem to think

I remember the flywheel.

As far as this device is concerned I do believe it would generate more heat than straight electrical resistance. That is, if properly employed. One would have to collect the heat generated from the motor and include it in the equation.

I am not endorsing this product. I just love seeing the things people come up with. It's that inventor's attitude and disregard to ridicule that has allowed us to enjoy many of the luxuries we now have.
  • icesailor
    Left over electricity:

They have a way to calculate the electricity generated at the source. Does it equal what they deliver through the meters? I understand that it doesn't. That they generate more electricity than they actually meter and sell. Where does the extra go?

Water companies know how much water they deliver. They can conveniently not claim as metered water, what is used for fire protection. Where does the extra water go? It leaks unmetered out of the system.

If you have a house and it is 1,000' from the pole at the street, and you don't want to have a meter on the house, and put it at the street, 1,000' from the house. Will you get the same monthly KW Per Hour per month if you had a meter on the house also? You are supposed to, but do you?

I've seen failing underground primary cables that I swear were failing slowly (leaking voltage) before the leak became so great that they would blow the fuse. Who would know? Who would admit?
  • Gordy
    Stray voltage/transmission losses.

They keep tabs as best they can on their produced verses metered electricity than you think. That's money in the bank going out the window. Yes there are in noticed cases of stray voltage, but seldom excessive to where it would actually even power something. That would be a litigation waiting to happen.

All in all the average losses in transmission is between 5 and 8%.

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/1.2-Trillion-Metric-Tons-of-CO2-in-Line-Losses/

As far as water goes our municipal calls the home in question if It deviates higher than normal usage swimming pool filling, Lawn watering etc. looking for possible leaks in the infrastructure.
  • Eastman
    Eastman Member Posts: 927
    the device does nothing

The creator is simply mystified by the relationships between various forms of energy.
  • Eastman
    Eastman Member Posts: 927
    this is real though

sailing directly downwind faster than the wind

http://dwfttw.blogspot.com