Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ECR 97GB / Utica SSC Heat Exchanger

Options
Ironman
Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
Sometime back, there was a discussion as to whether the heat exchanger in these boilers was indeed self cleaning or whether the fins would foul like some copper fin tube boilers did.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. This pic comes from one that I installed three years ago and just serviced. It's main load is a large in slab radiant floor which means it's probably condensing at least 90% or more of the time which is when deposits are formed. Judge for yourselves.
Bob Boan
You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Comments

• Le John
    Le John Member Posts: 226
    Options
    Is that bad or good

I'm not a heating professional but I love the trade. Is that bad or good?
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Good

If that picture of the HE is without being cleaned in three years and with the boiler in condensing mode it sounds like it is living up to its claims (however I would not want to see any condensing boiler not serviced much longer than that). Pretty impressive.

Rob 
  • Eastman
    Eastman Member Posts: 927
    Options
    between the loops

Was there any build up between the loops? How do you clean something like this? --it looks like most of the heat exchanger surface is inaccessible.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited January 2014
    Options
    No Cleaning

I only cleaned the burner. The white blotches are pieces of gasket material the fell off while removing the burner.A soft brush should work for cleaning the fins, though, they're pretty sturdy being stainless steel.

Sorry about the rotated pic. I think the site does it for some reason.

Here are a couple more:
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating Member Posts: 1,361
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Utica SSC Boilers

Their ad says "The only homegrown, low maintenance Stainless Steel condensing heat exchanger designed in the USA for the USA". I love these boilers, chalk one up for the "Buy American Crowd"!

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.