Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Venting - angle vent on convector and vertical antler?

Options
bx1000
bx1000 Member Posts: 2
Hi, I’m hoping for some advice on venting a one pipe steam system:

1) I’ve got a house full of convectors, and I’d like to use a quality adjustable vent on them, to allow for balancing. The convectors have 3/4” tappings on top for a straight vent, currently many have Hoffman 45s. The Hoffman 1B seems like it would work well for my use (with a reducing bushing), but for some reasons the 1Bs seems to be priced at double the 1As from every source I’ve checked, even though they appear to be the same vent with different inlets. Would there be any reason not to use a Hoffman 1A with a 90 degree 1/8” street elbow instead? Any other suggestions?

2) I’m also trying to improve my main venting (doing this first, actually). I want to throw a couple of Gorton #2 vents on each main, in one location I don’t have enough horizontal clearance to build an antler, but the location is under a pipe chase so I do have vertical room to work with. Any problem in creating a vertical antler, like the drawing below?

Thanks.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,574
    Options
    on 2 --

That contraption may look a little unusual (!) but there's no reason it shouldn't work just fine.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,880
    Options
    Maybe

Personally I would go for the 1B if you need adjustable or figure out what vents you really need and buy Gorton's as they have straight versions that arent' expensive.

I wouldn't do a 90 but two 45s might work ok.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment