Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Would constant circulation help?

JHB
JHB Member Posts: 6
I have a mutt of a setup that has been created over two rennovations and I need help to correct.

My home has 7 zones connected to a Buderus ga244 with logomatic control and fm241.

I have 2 first floor zones, one is constant circulation baseboard using the Buderus controller, and the other is a loop with toe kicks on a t-stat.

The second floor has two bedrooms with baseboard and the rest of the house heated with a hydro air handler. Bathrooms use the low temp FM241 to control radiant floors, also using the constant feedback loop.

The other zones are floor heating, garage modine heater and DHW.

My question is heating the 2nd floor bedrooms on the baseboard circuit. I have tried closing baseboard vents in the bedroom with the thermostat to try and balance the heat in the other bedroom. This has not worked. I may try placing insulation over the fins of the baseboard radiator to further decrease the heating and balance the rooms.

But with the cold snap I have found the pipe to this zone runs through an exterior wall and freezes when the temp falls below 15*.

Getting at this pipe will require removal of a ceiling, and it won't solve my unbalanced heating issue.

Will setting this zone up as a constant circulating zone work? It will certainly keep the water running and prevent it from freezing. I was thinking I can either try and balance the rooms further to match the heat loss of the downstairs CC zone, or maybe there is a mixing valve I can add to this zone that has a room reset temperature control? Something like the Taco i-series (which has an ODR).

Comments

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,372
    never stop circulation

Some building owners keep circulator running even in summer. If you want to save electricity get a smaller circulator. Your idea about insulating over enthusiastic terminal is a good one.