Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Overheated

Options
Jonny89
Jonny89 Member Posts: 1
It was so hot in the house, I had to keep lowering thermostat. I am all the way down to 50 and the temp is still 74. It's like the furnace just runs and is ignoring the thermostat. I have 3 zones. All are turned down to 53. Still roasting. Furnace was new 2 years ago, thermostats replaced last year, batteries replaced this year. Help!

Comments

• bp1980
    bp1980 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    hope this helps

Try to disconnect the thermostates and see if it turns off. If it doesn't then you know that itsnot the thermostates
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,289
    Options
    And if disconnecting the thermostats

one at a time doesn't find the problem, find and disconnect the thermostats at the boiler -- you may have a short in a thermostat wire.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Heat Source:

Is it a "furnace" that heats the air or is it a boiler, filled with water and the water is flowing through the system.

In almost all cases, it would be an electrical problem that you need a qualified service person to find. If it is "Warm Air" and you have zone dampers, one could be stuck open and keep the fan going. If you have three zones of FHW heat, it is unlikely that all zones are running at the same time unless you have an electrical problem.

Too many variables to give a good answer.