Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

When to Replace Near Boiler Copper Piping

Options
nycpa
nycpa Member Posts: 108
Hi,  My steam boiler has copper at the near boiler piping.  I know this isn't good.  I brought the house seven years ago and never had any problems with the boiler or the pipes leaking.  The date on the boiler is 1982, maybe the copper has been on since 1982?  The copper attaches to black threaded pipe at the top.  Should I replace the copper with black threaded pipe after the heating season is over or wait until either the pipe leaks or boiler needs to be replaced?   The cooper coming right out of the boiler looks like a 2.3 or 3 inch size, will the black pipe also be 2.5 to 3 inches then reduced to a 2 inch at the top to match the rest of the pipes? 

Thanks.  

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Near the end of it's life

That looks like a WM atmospheric boiler, your lucky that has lasted this long. I'd start planning on a new boiler and finding someone who will install it correctly. If it fails during weather like this you will probably get another bad piping job, better to plan it all out and get it done when the guys aren't up to their ears in work.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • nycpa
    Options
    What is the Life span?

What is the usual lifespan for a boiler like this?  Should I replace it with another WM boiler like the one I have or another boiler company if so, which one?  If this unit last through the winter, would summer time be the best to replace this boiler?  It sounds good but what sudden failure can happen to this boiler? 
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,285
    Options
    gas valve or burner

If either give out they can be replaced.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    How long

Some last 8 years and some go for a long time like yours, the fact it is as old as it is says it might last longer or it could fail next week. Although that piping is not to spec I think trying to change it now might be inviting trouble.

How does the system work? Are there any specific problems you are having?

I would not replace it at this time of year unless it springs a leak, butter to do something like that in the spring or summer. Start looking around for someone in your area that knows steam and can install a boiler correctly, have him evaluate your boiler and suggest what should be done The quality of the install is often more important than the brand of boiler.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Boiler Life span

My Weil-McLain boiler lasted 75 years. It still ran great, replaced it because I converted to gas. Your boiler is now 32 years old. Keep an eye on how much water you're using. Might still have a few good years left in it. Leave the copper alone. Have the next boiler piped properly.
  • ALIGA
    ALIGA Member Posts: 194
    Options
    take the top cover off

to see how the boiler chest looks.

the copper should not be touched unless the boiler springs a leak.

i had a larger weil mclain that lasted 22 years.
  • nycpa
    Options
    Replacement Boiler

My heating system seems fine.  Boiler is nice and quiet, no water leaks or filling additional water.  I change the water every week and fill it back up, that's the only time I add water to it.  I get water hammer once in a while but only if the temperature is real cold like today, 5 degrees.

Should I just do what the other posters suggested, wait and seek approach?  Search for qualified plumbers and wait until something happens, then I can replace the boiler and pipe at the same time. 
  • nycpa
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice, I think I will just find a qualified plumber and wait for something to happen.  I just didn't know if the copper piping had to be replaced ASAP.  
  • nycpa
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for the response.  Taking the top off is done by lifting it up or unscrewing something?