Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riser blockage or pressure issue ?

Options
PTTG40
PTTG40 Member Posts: 16
Since Ive taken everyone advise to lower boiler pressure in my residential 3 story home, some of the banging has lessened which is great. On eo thing I noticed was that the riser to the third floor that did bang alot right at this elbow in the photo. Its about 15 feet from the main. The foot before the elbow is hot and right after the elbow the pipe stays pretty cool, sometimes warm. But thats where it bangs so that obvious. 

Do you think it is a clog, water residue that needs to be let out or some other problem? Thank you

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,430
    Options
    What's the pitch

on that horizontal pipe heading away from the camera?  It's got to be pitched back pretty aggressively; if it's level or even slightly pitched, it's going to bang.

Obviously at the same time, though -- check the pitch on the going to the right.  It has to have a pretty aggressive pitch, too.

Either one could easily be your problem -- and I observe that increasing the pitch on one is likely to flatten the other...

Cheers!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England