Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiator enclosers/efficency

Options
Hollis
Hollis Member Posts: 105
I am having a discussion with someone that says that radiator enclosures decrease efficiency and will make fuel costs go up.

However I'm thinking that yes it make take longer for the heat to rise but if you have an enclosed space,...meaning the house, that the same amount of Btu's will be delivered to heat it. The house in question is an old building with a new boiler and its two pipe steam. Reflectors on back of any radiators on outside walls.  The fuel bills seem very good with the enclosures in place. Would it be any better in the long run if they were removed?

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Design Is Everything

First of all, you are correct in saying that enclosures don't affect efficiency. Your reasoning is exactly right. But there is efficiency and there is effectiveness. For example, a small radiator is just as efficient as a larger one, but it won't heat the same space as effectively as a larger one. It can't condense as much steam and give off as much heat in the same amount of time. A radiator enclosure can either enhance or reduce the effectiveness of a radiator. It's all in the design.

If you're interested, there are several articles in the Library on radiator enclosures.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,000
    Options
    Enclosure

Radiator enclosures will either increase or decrease the amount of heat that ends up in the room Depends on design. A poorly designed enclose can trap the heat in the enclosure. Not very efficient to pay all that money to heat the inside of a box.
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,786
    Options
    Why enclose?

With the exception of original architectural radiator enclosures, seats, grates, etc., I would have to say that I have never seen a radiator enclosure that I thought looked better than a bare radiator. The enclosures are usually bulky and large and take up more space than the radiator alone.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Greening steam

Holohan's book discusses this subject. I like enclosures with moveable louvers because it's the best way to control heat output in each room. Besides which, nowadays somebody will bare his bottom,sit on a radiator, and then sue the beegeesuss out of you.
  • Joe V_2
    Joe V_2 Member Posts: 234
    Options
    From Gerry Gill's business websiTe

a very informative site if you have time.

http://www.gwgillplumbingandheating.com/webapp/p/238/effect-of-radiator-covers