Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Upstate NY Home - Replacing Cast Iron Piping w/PEX, New Boiler??

<span style="font-size:12pt">I have a 100-year old two-story 2000 sq. ft. single family</span><a>[size=12] home in upstate New York (Elmira) with a hydronic system using a 1960’s vintage Sears natural gas boiler. The boiler feeds cast iron radiators throughout the house, with fairly large supply and return runs for each radiator. All of the piping is exposed in the basement, along with all the supply and return runs being exposed where they pass through first-floor rooms. I realize these all act as additional emitters besides the radiators. I’ve been told by service technicians that this was probably a converted steam system due to the size of the piping. There is a Bell & Gossett recirculator on the inlet side of the boiler, and a good size expansion tank mounted above the boiler (plumbed in just below the pressure relief valve).[/size]

[size=12]My yearly total natural gas cost has averaged $1,300 for the last several years (which also includes water heating and clothes drying). The natural gas cost for the size of my home seems very reasonable, especially being here in upstate New York. [/size]

[size=12]With all that background, I’m posting here to get suggestions on perhaps replacing all of that old piping and the boiler, due to their age.  I’ve read some posts on here about using pex-al-pex to replace cast iron piping, and modulating/condensing boilers. My home is very comfortable in the winter and I’d like to retain the radiators. But with my natural gas costs so reasonable, would I save that much with a mod/con unit? Or would it make sense to keep a much simpler traditional boiler?[/size]Thanks</a>

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    More Likely:

More likely, due to the age, a converted gravity system that was switched to a  pumped system at some time in the past.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Potential savings

would depend on the size and condition of the existing boiler and the amount of radiation installed in relation to the actual heating requirements of the house.  It all starts with a heat loss calculation.  If you're willing to learn and do some legwork, we can help you make an informed decision.

A converted gravity system will last another 100 years if properly cared for.  I wouldn't even think of tearing one out unless something was seriously borked.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,104
    As SWEI said

unless there is something seriously wrong with the old cast iron piping and the old radiation, don't even think about tearing it out.  The main reason folks today use PEX or copper and lighter or baseboard radiation is that it's a lot cheaper to install, not that it is better (it isn't) or lasts longer (it doesn't).

You will do much much better (as well as much cheaper!), in the long run, to replace the boiler -- if and when it needs it -- with a modern high efficiency unit and to add proper pumps, manifolds, and valves to route the hot water to the existing piping and radiation as needed.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • MH_Upstate
    MH_Upstate Member Posts: 2
    Besides annual boiler service

what else should I consider to keep this system operating? Should I periodically flush the system? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
  • You Shouldn't

Have to flush the system, as a closed loop system won't rust much. A new boiler would save you some money, when you're ready consider a Utica SSC Boiler, made right in your neck of the woods by the same family for about a hundred years, great quality and great service, it's the only boiler I will install.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.