Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus 6A

Mpj
Mpj Member Posts: 109
Hello All,

I have a GB that I looked at before Christmas it was giving a 6A code, the flame sensor was changed before I got there so I do not think that is the problem. I cleaned and serviced the boiler (it has not been serviced in a couple of years) still had the same problem. Checked everything in the manual and found nothing wrong. Called Buderus and spoke to a tech, he walked me through other tests. Found it to be the 24 volt transformer, changed the trans and all seemed good. Got a call tonight the 6A is back. Does anyone have the procedure to check the transformer? I'm thinking the new went bad.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    Transformer

It sounds like you might have an intermittent short somewhere, it could be a wire or any coil that runs off the 24v.

If you can get to the transformer output leads (impossible if it's mounded on a printed circuit card) use a clip on amp meter to measure the current, compare that to the transformer rating. You could also put a fuse on the output of the transformer (fuses are cheaper than transformers).

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    Ignition Issue?

Have you checked everything on the fuel and vent side? What's your incoming gas pressure? Is the condensate trap draining?

The transformer diagnosis seems a litte stretched to me. Was the old one producing 24 volts?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Mpj
    6A

Bob, I'm going to the job tomorrow AM, I do not understand what you mean by installing a fuse. What is the purpose of the fuse?

Iron, The incoming gas pressure is 7.7"WC, set the gas/ratio to -0.03. The old transformer was reading about 19 volts.
  • Mpj
    6A

Went back to the job today. It turned out to be the UBA. replaced it and all is well again.

Thanks for all your help.