Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pressuretroll shots pilot off

Options
joewolf
joewolf Member Posts: 19
hello , my name is joe i m new to steam heat ,does the pressure troll shots the pilot off to when it shot off the boiler .also my tenant remove all the vent off the radiator ,this means there going to be lost of stem in other apartment ?thanks in advance .JOE

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,415
    Options
    You've got big trouble...

First, no, the pressuretrol should not kill the pilot, assuming this is a standing pilot gas boiler.  Other types of gas boiler, yes.  You need to know a lot more.

Second, if your tenant has taken the vents off the radiators, you are going to have a lot of damage in those rooms when the boiler fires up.  Amazing how much damage a good shot of steam can do, never mind being very dangerous (it can burn your tenant very badly, and lawyers just love that sort of thing).

You need more help than I think we can give you...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    pilot light

a standing pilot will remain lit all the time waiting to ignite the burner. an electronic ignition system will only light the pilot when the thermostat calls for heat. I don't know what sort of boiler you have.

Running the system without a radiator vent in place is very dangerous as someone could be burned, and to add insult to injury, the steam will ruin the walls. As if that were not enough, the loss of water will cause the boiler to use a lot of fresh water, causing it to rust prematurely.--NBC
  • joewolf
    Options
    pressuretroll shots pilot off

hey guys thanks ,this is what happened i was trying to adjust the pressuretroll i went all way down and the screw came off and the pilot went off i put the screw back on lid the pilot and it was good.my other problem is the last 2 radiator 1 on the first floor and 1 on the second floor they don't get hot ,i took off the vent on the main and no change ,the vent is about 20 feet from the 2 pipes for the cold radiator ,if i put one other vent right where the return starts and that will be right by where to two pipes for the cold radiators are taken off from the main would that help.this is a 6 family building its a 2 floor building with 3 unit on each floor the boiler is on the first unit in the basement,2 pipes 4 inch are taken off from the boiler they connect about two feet up and for there a 2 1\2 inch pipe goes to 4 radiators they're the closest to the boiler they heat up fast and the other 2 radiator i was talking about before are still cold .if i change the 2 1\2 pipe that take off from the main to a 1 1\2 would that reduce that heat from going to the first radiators or not .or i was thinking to put a thermostat on the second floor in the room where is cold? witch one is my best option .thanks again. JOE
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Keep the piping the same

With big pipes, you need plenty of main venting, usually placed where the dry return comes back to the boiler area, and drops down. Several Gorton 2's may be required.--NBC
  • joewolf
    Options
    vent

thanks nicholas ,my local supplyer dont have the gordons he has the o-mist would thath work the same right? thanks again JOE
  • kevin_58
    kevin_58 Member Posts: 61
    Options
    pilot out

Do you have 2 pressure controls? If so one is a high limit and will turn the pilot out.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    vents

A maid o mist main vent will work but they only come in one size - 0.33 CFM. That is the same as a Gorton #1 but only about 1/4 of a Gorton #2.

The volume of air in each main has to be calculated and then you have to put vents on them that will release all that air in a couple of minutes. You can use multiple vents to get the vent rate you need.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • joewolf
    Options
    pressuretrol vent

thanks guys ,yes i have two honeywel pa404a both the same the scale starts at o.5 to 9 psi on one side is kg and goes from 0 to 6 i bulive that kilogramm?on one of them 2 wire are going to the gas valve, and the other one, one going to the transformer and the other one going to the flue chamber. i have them se at 1 1\2 psi ,but my low pressure boiler never build up pressure even after a long cycle,should i set them lower or should i get different pressuretrol. i also reed on the manual for this pressuretrol additive differential and subtractive differential i have no idea how to set this differential .
  • joewolf
    Options
    calculate the volume

thanks bob how do i calculate the volume of the air and how i calculate how many vent do i need.thanks agin. JOE
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    CF

A 2" pipe has 0.023cf per running ft, 2-1/2 has 0.034cf per running ft, and a 3" has .053cf per running ft. I've attached a pipe sizing chart below.

Once you know what cubic feet per foot your main is just multiply that by the length in feet. You want that air out fast so figure on having a vent that will vent all that air in a minute, venting it faster would be fine. if you had a 15 ft 2" main you would have (.023 X 15) 0.34 cu ft of air in that main.

A gorton #1 or Maid O mist #1 will vent 0.33 CFM so either would probably be fine for that main. The Gorton #2 vents at 1.1 CFM which is almost 4X that of the #1.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • joewolf
    Options
    weird vent

hey bob thanks again ,ok i calculeted the volume of the main and is 1.i20, i'm post pictures of the vent that i have there know ,the location of the vent is where the return drops,i toke the vent off i blow thru it and air goes thru i blow fester and it closed so i assume the vent is good. i was thinking add one other vent where the return start that wiil be at the end of the main where the take off for the two radiator that are cold ?thanks JOE