Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas heating system?

Hi I'm a heating tech in training in southern Maine and I want to put a heating system in my parents house. They already have 2 120 propane tanks. I was looking to put a wall hang gas boiler in with baseboards but they isn't much open wall space. I was wondering if there was a better option.

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Close

That's about as close to no information, as you can get.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Heating tech in training

what kind of training program?  Have they taught you how to do a heat loss calculation yet?
  • stay

Stay in school
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Welcome

Wow,

That was some welcome for a young tech seeking info and posting here for the first time. No doubt, he'll open right up for some more encouraging words.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Other Options

Chris,

Yes, there are other options which may even be better and more efficient. Panel radiators is the first that comes to mind. High output base board such as Smith's Heating Edge is another. It requires less length than standard BB.

More info is needed and when it comes to designing, everything starts with a heat loss calculation. If you have not been trained to do due one yet, don't let it scare you. They are easy to do and there are simple on line downloads available. The SlantFin program is the one we generally recommend and it's so easy to use that home owners can do it.

Once you done the heat loss calc. (aka a Manual J), you'll have the basic info needed to size and design everything in the system: boiler, heat emitters, piping, pumps, etc. Then you can explore what options are viable for your particular job and make an informed decision.

Some of the most experienced and helpful people in the business frequent and contribute here. Please, continue to come and ask questions, lots of them, and you'll get a lot of help that you may not otherwise.

Keep seeking the truth, and you'll find it.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Re: Wow?

I'm sorry, but I don't see how that was discouraging, in any way. It was meant to point out that there was literally, no pertinent information included in that post.I chose to leave out..."Honey" "Sweetheart" or "Darling", on purpose.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Well Said

Very well said Bob. The trades need more techs and this site is an excellent resource.

Rob
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited December 2013
    Delete

This discussion has been closed.