Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question about an exterior vent

Options
George80
George80 Member Posts: 8
I manage a 30 unit building in the Bronx NY and I got a complaint from a 5th floor (highest floor up) tenant about a cold closet and condensation forming in this closet. My super made a small hole in the wall and behind the closet wall it was completely dry. Only the actual closet itself gets wet from what appears to be condensation happening. The cold from the closet combined with the heat from the apartment. 

Next to this closet is a vent that's pointed upside down on the exterior of the building. All of the other vents around the building are pointed downward while this one vent is pointed upward. When we drilled the big hole in the closet wall, we felt a pretty strong force of cold air come through.

Could this problem be happening from the vent being pointed in the wrong direction?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Purpose

What is the purpose of the vent? Is it an old vent that someone dry walled over?

With the vent installed in that direction, is rain water coming in?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,533
    Options
    vent

Shouldn't be upside down regardless of what it is. What is the vent for/ What is it connected to?
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Upside down vent

I'm quite sure the vent cover in its present state will facilitate cold air flow through gravity.

Along with the fact precipitation can enter vent duct more readily.
This discussion has been closed.