Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

noise in pipes

Options
REM
REM Member Posts: 15
can someone tell me how I can get rid of the noise when the water is running through the pipes to get to the radiators?? I thought it was a particular radiator, but it was changed

and the noise still persists...it is not a clanging or banging it sounds more like you were turning a valve or something very hard to describe  when the heat levels off to match the thermostat it stops.. HELP!!!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options
    This is in a steam system?

There should be very little water running through the pipes, if any.  If this is really a steam system, and you are hearing water flowing, you almost certainly have some real problems with pipe pitch -- and it's a wonder you don't have water hammer.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Blaine
    Blaine Member Posts: 21
    Options
    I believe I have the same issue.

Does the noise in your pipe sound like a combination of water boiling and water sloshing back and forth in a metal washtub? Thats what the pipe sounds like that lead to two of my radiators. Actually the noise is heard through the radiator but I can tell its resonating through the pipe. Both radiators get good steam and heat up well but the noise is annoying especially at night. Its not as annoying as water hammer but still pretty bad. I believe I have the problem narrowed down to either a partially clogged or an improperly pitched pipe. I'd almost rather it be hammer in a radiator because it would be a lot easier to fix. All of my pipes are inside the wall so this will need a pro to address, especially if its a pitch issue. I'll wait till after the winter because as I said my system is heating well and it relatively trouble free.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Raise it up

The problem is almost certainly in a horizontal pipe that is pitched wrong.

Before needlessly freeing the moths you might want to try lifting the whole radiator up a bit. Get some small shims (1/2 or 1/4" thick) and use a stout board and fulcrum to GENTLY lift the radiator up and shim under the far end first and then under the input end. Get some help and work slowly and carefully, the radiator can weigh hundreds of pounds, so you don't damage anything.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options
    And it may not take much

I had an inadvertent experiment along those lines; a 20 foot long double fin tube which had the far end sag.  In that caseone could hear the sloshing -- and a lovely water hammer as well.  Raising that far end which had sagged one half inch got rid of the problem.

That's one half inch in 20 feet.  It doesn't take much...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.