Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Painting radiators

Options
I have a cold apartment that I've double vented with gorton d, and vari vents, radiators have good pitch to valve, it's still low compared to other units, mine are painted with aluminum paint, I read just over painting with non metallic , even latex will increase output, is this true , would I benefit more by stripping old paint and leave bare metal, what else can I do to increase output, I use foil face foam board behind radiators , it helps! I have Dans books but just moved and can't find them.

Comments

• conversiontime
    conversiontime Member Posts: 87
    Options
    bare metal is best vs paint

Painting will not warm those rads and fix the issue, it sounds like there is an imbalance in the mains or feeder lines to the apartment that needs to be addressed.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    No

There's no thermal benefit to stripping radiators. The only important thing is the top coat of paint. It should not be metallic. Rough it up with some sand paper, and paint over it.
  • conversiontime
    conversiontime Member Posts: 87
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I was wrong

Looks like you can paint over metal/aluminum paint to increase radiation and you should use oil base for both prime and coat and avoid latex. Oil paint requires mineral spirits to clean brushes or mistakes. Also smells quite bad and will probably off gas until baked out, so may want to wait until you can ventilate while painting.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,323
    Options
    Latex really doesn't work, but...

we have had no problems or peeling paint using top grade acrylic paints.  They are very different from the old latex paints -- the only thing they have in common is that they clean up with water.

I'd recommend using a top end acrylic (that is Benjamin Moore, Sherwin-Williams top of the line) in a flat finish.

As noted, oil base paints -- even if you can find them -- off gas when drying, and continue to do so for quite some time after they are basically dry (like weeks) when used on radiators.  This may cause discomfort or outright health hazards to the occupants (that said, I do use them on really high temperature stuff, like exhaust manifolds!).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    I recommend Rust Oleum High Heat paint

Most paint says right on the can that it should not be used on surfaces that get hotter than 200°F. I've gotten good results with the Rust Oleum. I've also seen a Krylon High Heat paint but haven't tried it.

I'm skeptical, however, that no matter what paint you use, the results won't be what you're hoping for. I'd try balancing the venting first.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Cold silver radiator

I would find out why the radiator is not heating up before painting. If you are cold, the color will not make much of a difference to your comfort. Do you access to the rest of the system?--NBC
This discussion has been closed.