Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator won't turn off

Options
Hello,

My radiator will not turn off. The valve is all the way in the off position (I've turned it all the way and tightened it), but the radiator keeps going for hours--not like it's just in the process of shutting off. It stays on all the time and is extremely loud--constant whistling, occasional banging.

How can I turn it off and/or reduce the noise? I am in an apartment building and don't have access to anything other than the radiators, and the super has already looked at it and done absolutely nothing.

Thank you!

Comments

• conversiontime
    conversiontime Member Posts: 87
    edited December 2013
    Options
    unfortunately the pressure is too high

The valve may no longer work if turning it does nothing. Steam radiators should either be all open or all closed, no in between. The problem is in system imbalance and too high pressure but since the super is not going to fix it the best thing you can do it open a window or look for a new apartment.
  • rich11coop
    rich11coop Member Posts: 25
    Options
    turn the vent

use a wet towel to avoid getting burnt grasp the vent on the end of the radiator & turn it upside down, this effectively turns "off" the radiator better than any other method.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,258
    Options
    throw a blanket on radiator

Maybe that will make your room less warm.
  • steamedchicago
    steamedchicago Member Posts: 72
    Options
    dry towel

Water is a very good conductor of heat.  Using a wet towel to handle hot things is a damn fine way to burn yourself.  use a dry one.  
  • rich11coop
    rich11coop Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Check it!

Water is a Poor conductor of heat!

http://physics.info/conduction
This discussion has been closed.