Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Low level CO detectors?

Options
Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
What is your go to brand / source?

Gotta do better than the 30/70 ppm big box store thing....

Merry Christmas!

Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    What is your go to brand / source?

I am a homeowner, not a heating professional. I use one from this outfit. Mine is an older model that looks different, but the specs are about the same.

http://www.coexperts.com/

I think you need to have big-box CO detectors to satisfy local codes, but I do not believe you are prohibited from using these in addition. Around here (New Jersey) the inspector asks if you have a CO detector, but does not even check to see if you are telling the truth or not. YMMV.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited December 2013
    Options
    What are you trying to protect?

What are you trying to protect? A building or yourself?

If a building/home, the Massachusetts regs require one CO or Combo smoke and CO detector at the appliance and each floor. They should cover it. If it is a personal one, the one mentioned will work. I have  UEI CO71A, that reads 001 PPM/CO until it locks out and I have to remove the battery to re-set it at 1,000 PPM/CO. It is as accurate as my Bacharach "Insight" combustion analyzer when I have compared the two together on the same exhaust.  

http://www.ueitest.com/products/carbon-monoxide-detectors/co71a

If they are in a dwelling, and they are too sensitive at low PPM/CO's, you get nuisance calls and they get disconnected.
  • Timco
    Options
    Protect

93 year old customer in this situation, 8th floor condo. Just air handler but she wants a CO detector and I want to install the right unit for the occupant. Sweet lady.
  • icesailor
    Options
    Sweet ladies:

If it is fairly modern, and the fire alarm system isn't connected to a fire alarm panel but just regular Smokes, it may be compatible to a normal house Combo CO/Smoke detector. Otherwise, get the better of the battery powered combi units and mount it where they suggest on the ceiling. It will do you well. In my FLA Condo, there is a hard wired Smoke that isn't compatible. So I have a battery Combi unit too.
  • Timco
    Options
    Condo

It's 1950's. No other detectors maybe battery smokies.

Thing is, she had a big box unit go off. Changed batteries, fresh air, fine. Construction in unit above her. Just an air handler and coils for these units. Equipment is 8 stories below.
  • icesailor
    Options
    Going Off:

How old was the unit? They have a date on the back and have a life expectancy. They also need the batteries changed every year, Once they batteries get below 5.5 volts, they can become erratic. Whenever I change my batteries for my self or customers, I always date the batteries with a magic marker and I date the install of the units.

You may pay more for one but electrical supply houses are the most up to date on the most reliable units. It the big box stores, you have so many choices that it is hard to know what is the best.  Buy a combi unit. Replace the battery one with that one. Especially if the air handler is in a place with fossil fuel burning equipment in it.

JMO.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    CO experts

I second that choice
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Jeff W_2
    Jeff W_2 Member Posts: 57
    edited December 2013
    Options
    NSI3000

I use these all the time- have 3 in my house. You'll have to find an NCI contractor to get them. Last year I gave one of these to all my family members for Christmas gifts (even my mother-in-law).

http://www.stopcarbonmonoxide.com/index.cfm?p=page&id=16
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Tim CO-Experts is the

best choice. Because you have been to my classes George Kerr (owner of CO-Experts) will give you a discounted price. Any questions call me at 401-437-0557. The new 2014 version is good for seven years, it alarms at 9 PPM. Very good for elderly folks like me.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,049
    Options
    NSI by national comfort institute

I've used these for years. Jim Davis and al d ambola are tops. I have 4 in my house. I gave them to my family. Mad dog
This discussion has been closed.