Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham IN6 leaking steam

Options
GregM
GregM Member Posts: 8
Hello -

I am the owner of a Burnham IN6 steam boiler (natural gas), installed in 1999, which heats my 2300 sq. foot home here in Michigan. As near as I can tell the boiler was not serviced much (at all?) for 5 - 6 years ending when I purchased it, along with my house, in 2011. At that time I found that the pressuretrol was bad, the piping leading to it and the LWCO was clogged, and every steam vent on every radiator dead from (I think) the overpressure. I replaced all of this and was able to balance the system to run pretty well. Unfortunately some damage was done, as the system still ran through a half gallon of more of water each week. (Way too much I know.)

I finally got around to figuring out where the water's been going, and at the suggestion of this site flooded the boiler to the risers. Major leak in the boiler (rats.) So, what are my options here? New boiler is one obviously. Anything else? Can I limp through the rest of the heating season adding water every day, or should I have this fixed ASAP?

By the way, the advice I've gotten here in the past plus Dan's book have been fantastic resources, so thanks!

Greg

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,332
    Options
    You can try limping...

but keep in mind that leaks almost never get smaller with time!  It would probably be a good idea to find a really good steam pro. in your area (I'm not familiar with your area) and get everything sized up properly and things on order and lined up to go and scheduled.  It's much easier on all concerned if a replacement is a scheduled project than if it is an emergency on Saturday night...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Scheduled replacement

Can you see whether the leak is in the metal of a section, or the rubber gasket between sections?

If it is the gasket, then it may be replaced, especially if it were on an outer section, and so a repair of that sort could be done even in winter.

With the drop header configuration, you could get the big supply piping in place , and then switch boilers with minimum downtime.--NBC
  • ALIGA
    ALIGA Member Posts: 194
    edited December 2013
    Options
    with a unit over 14 years old

i suggest also looking at replacement options.

you may get away with replacing a section, but the other gaskets may leak once the unit is touched.
This discussion has been closed.