Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New member new boiler a few questions.

Options
I have been following this forum since my old boiler started to act up when it finally died from a hole the size of a quarter on the top of boiler it was a Utica gas fired one pipe steam between 25 and 30 years old. The heating contractor suggested I replace it with a new Utica which I did. I have also replaced all the vents on the radiators with new Gordon vents and the main vent with a Gordon #2 the heat seems good and even I am pleased with that also a lot quieter then the mixture of old vents that I had. I have a few questions on the boiler.

#1 I have the Pressuretrol set at cut in 0.5 differential at about 1 the boiler will run up to about 3.2 PSI before it cuts out is this a bit high? I have read that 2 PSI is plenty I have installed a new low pressure gauge and think it is working properly.

#2 I have noticed condensation forming on the upper part of the sight glass I read that this should be dry? The boiler was installed about 2 wks ago and I have skimmed it twice since water looked clean at the end of skimming and water in sight glass seems pretty clean. Dose the PH play a role in this?

I have gained a lot of insight into a steam boiler system and realize now it is more than just turning up the heat and paying the gas bill. Thanks to all for the information on this forum. I have attached some photos please comment if you see any more I could do.

Thanks

Bill  

PS Sorry about the rotation of the pictures I couldn't get it to work out.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Looks nice

Kind of fun to find out how the system works, and get it working better!

Let's see here.  The pressure does seem a bit high, given where you have the pressuretrol set.  First thing to check is the calibration of the gauge -- does it go to zero when the boiler is off?  It really should.  Then, it that is correct, what is the range of the gauge?  You say it goes to 3.2 psi, so I presume that it's maximum pressure is higher -- is this the required 0 to30 psi gauge (I apologise -- I can't quite make out it's markings in the photo)?  Because if so, those really aren't much use except to keep the insurance folks and building inspectors happy.  You might want to add a 0 to 3 psi gauge.  If the gauge is really accurate, could the pressuretrol be out of adjustment?

Condensation in the top of the gauge glass is quite normal.  Not to worry.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    High pressure

Pressuretrols are getting worse every year but you may be able to adjust it lower. With the front cover off the pressuretrol, can you turn the pressure down below 0.5? Watch to make sure the spring does not become decoupled as you try and reduce the pressure. Watch the system go through a steaming cycle to see if it cuts out at a lower pressure AND to make sure it restarts - assuming the thermostat is still calling for heat.

You will probably have to skim the boiler several more times to get all the oils out. Skim it very slowly (2 hours for a bucketful) and do not let the water get up to boiling while doing the skimming.

In the picture of your boiler header I see the installer reduced the pipe size as it leaves the T that feeds the steam main. The header should be the same size all the way across until it turns straight down.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Header

Agreed. That header is incorrect. The second boiler riser needs to be used as well. Consult the installation manual for a minimum requirement for piping.
This discussion has been closed.