Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A different Thermostat question

Options
Hi, I would like to set up dual thermostat set up for these reasons.

Let me just set up the situation.

My simple round no mercury digital honeywell in in my dining room. 6 feet away from a small coal stove that we like to use in the winter. Problem, coal stove drives the heat in the dining room up to about 80 deg. So the boiler doesn't come on.

I would like to install a second thermostat in a different room, far from the coal stove.

I would like to be able to switch between the thermostats by either turning one "on" and the other one say, in the dining room "off".

I would to stay with a simple thermostat, one that CPH could be selected.

Any advise is always greatly appreciated.

We love this little coal stove, and would like to fire this thing up.

Merry Christmas to all.
Weil McLean SGO4, Riello Gas Burner
404 sq ft EDR
Old Burnham V8 Removal

Comments

• Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Thermostat

Maybe it would be a good idea just to move the existing thermostat to another location possibly cold room upstairs. Then also use TRV's to control rads that are affected by the coal stove.
  • AirborneTrav
    AirborneTrav Member Posts: 29
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Thermostat

It would probably make sense just to move it to another room, but if you really wanted to set up two separate stats, you could use a regular three way switch. Run a 2 or 3 wire from the new t stat location back to the boiler,mount the switch, then cut the existing wire going to TT or whatever brings the pump/burner on at your boiler. Wire the reds from the thermostats to the load terminals on the three way switch (one on each, doesn't matter which,) and tie the red from the control to the line terminal on the switch. Then tie all 3 whites together. Now, with the switch in one position the boiler will operate off one T-Stat, and when switched will operate off the other.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
    Options
    Or

I you can install a Honeywell 8000 series VP with remote sensor and choose between the remote sensor or internal via the setup codes.

Personally that is the way I would go.

You could also throw some TRVs on the rads in the area of the wood stove which would stop them from heating under those conditions.  Of course you would need to set them to a point which wouldn't interfere with normal t-stat operation, say 75F or so.  You would have to experiment but I think it could be done.  Or just use the manual controller that comes with the Danfoss valve body and manually shut them down.  I think they work far better than any adjustable vent on the market.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,343
    Options
    Keep It Simple!

you don't even need a switch.  Just wire the two thermostats in parallel.  That way, whichever is colder will control the boiler, and the other will just sit there.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Maine Vent
    Maine Vent Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Keep it simple

Thanks Jamie,

My first thought on this was just what you suggested. I was not sure on how the 2 simple thermostats would interact together.

Let me ask you this question, If the 2 thermostats have an "off" & "on" feature, could I just turn the dining room t'stat off when I was using the coal stove in the dining room?

Thanks again
    Weil McLean SGO4, Riello Gas Burner
    404 sq ft EDR
    Old Burnham V8 Removal
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,343
    Options
    Yup

If it's turned off, it will just sit there, being vaguely decorative...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.