Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Basement pipe insulation (finished basement)

Options
i understand typically you suppose to insulate the pipe from the boiler to the radiators, especially the ones in the basement.

quick question

i have a finish basement, so naturally i want the basement not be be cold. and there is not radiator in the basement.

i assume the best way is to just let some of the steam pipe being not insulated and while insulate some of the other steam pipes

any roles or guideline i should follow? how much of the pipe i should let not insulated? or is this even a good idea?

thanks

hy

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,344
    Options
    Generally speaking

insulation is regarded as a very good idea.  The reasoning is two fold: first, one can control the temperature using radiators and placing the correctly, and second steam condensing in the mains can -- and usually does -- result in significantly slower heat to the radiators, as well as uneven heat, and can also result in water hammer problems in the mains.

If the mains are designed to handle the extra condensate resulting from not being insulated (additional pitch and/or larger pipe) and if the rest of the system can be properly balanced, it's not hopeless to do leave the mains partly uninsulated.

It is not the most efficient, never mind controllable, way to heat a finished basement.  A much much better approach is to use a hot water loop off the boiler with it's own thermostat for circulation and an aquastat to keep the boiler water warm.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.