Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What does

Tim McElwain
Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
KAIR stand for?

What does it mean to heating systems?

Does it really matter?

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Have

fun!
  • HDE_2
    HDE_2 Member Posts: 140
    Because I'm an engineer

KAIR = Thermal conductivity of air

Density, viscosity, humidity, barometric pressure and many other factors affect this
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    edited December 2013
    Thermal conductivity

is a lower case k, K stands for Kelvin . What context was it being used Tim ?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Thank you .

Tim ,

most of our new construction had a moratorium on new gas appliances for a while now due to Our gas company having some minor technicalities with providing for the existing customer base . That i offer as no excuse for not having sent some info along just an honest reason .

Our condensing boilers are mainly oil-fired . it just so happens though that it was lifted just for a brief window on some new work this year , and a young guy i'd like our community to have hang in here for them managed to get 4 new lines run in on one of the few places that were opened... he is very keen on a condensing product ..

our buildings here all get blowerdoor tests and we have a 6 * rating . the specs are quite high ...yet can be obtained with certain specific products and attention to detail.

thank you again for reminding us to catch up on this aspect .

*~//: )
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,067
    KAIR method

Known Air Infiltration Rate for calculating MUA requirements. IRC G2407.5.2

Used only when ACH 0.40 or less. Otherwise, use Std. Method.
  • Tim McElwain
    Very good

Mr. Harper, you are correct. The standard method still remains in effect which is the 50 cubic feet of volume per 1,000 BTU's. The importance of KAIR is that it recognizes the difference in combustion air volume requirements between the two appliance types, fan-assisted appliances and other than fan-assisted appliances which is "all other appliances". The amount of required indoor air for each type of equipment is different due to the different amounts of dilution air each requires. Typical gas-fired natural draft (draft hood) appliances require 21 cubic feet of air for every cubic foot (1,000 BTU's) of gas burned. Modern fan assisted combustion systems do not need dilution air (no draft hood), they still require approximately 15 cubic feet of air for each cubic foot of gas burned. The final proof of adequate air is the combustion test.
  • HDE_2
    HDE_2 Member Posts: 140
    edited December 2013
    K

The K used in the Coefficient of thermal conductivity can be lower or upper case depending on how it's used in a equation.Is this all about promoting your recent publication Tim? Interesting read

1 W/(m.K) = 1 W/(m.oC) = 0.85984 kcal/(hr.m.oC) = 0.5779 Btu/(ft.hr.oF)
  • Tim McElwain
    HDE not sure what publication you are

referring to. My FVIR water heater manual is finished and for sale. My revised three volume Hydronic Controls Volume I, Volume II and Volume III are available now to those who requested information a while back on Multi-Zone Panels. A new catalog will be out on January 1 with new prices and some revised manuals. Contact by e-mail will get you a catalog gastc@cox.net
  • Tim McElwain
    Being used relative to

Air for Combustion.
This discussion has been closed.