Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with 90 year old coal converted to gas (steam)

Options
ESB
ESB Member Posts: 1
Everything has been fine until this October. Heat did not go on; pilot was off. Heating company came and fixed. Ok for day or 2. Thermostat set for a constant 68 24/7. Not maintaining temperature. Put in a new thermostat White Rogers 1F80-361. Ok for a few days. Seems to be fine during day and early evening. From 11pm on, temperature in house drops to 66 with thermo set for 68, and furnace does not fire up. Still freezing in house at 6am- up thermo to 71 and furnace fires up.

HELP...

Comments

• ALIGA
    ALIGA Member Posts: 194
    Options
    if you jump the wires at thermostat

does the unit turn on?

if so, the thermostat may be bad.
  • JHprovidence
    JHprovidence Member Posts: 51
    Options
    generator

I have a 80 year old boiler where I live. First off, hate it, wish my land lord would replace it but I digress. I know mine has a generator that is powered by the pilot light. It kicks everything on and off. Maybe the problem is down there. I know my land lord had to have someone work on it last year because it caused problems with the boiler firing up. I wish you the best to get your heat back!
  • ALIGA
    ALIGA Member Posts: 194
    Options
    80 year old boiler

Why do you hate it so much?

Landlords need to provide adequate services. Is it not providing proper heat?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,714
    Options
    Memory

Going off of memory here but I think the boiler JH is talking about is a snowman, and is grossly oversized.

If that is the case he is justified in hating it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • MDNLansing
    MDNLansing Member Posts: 297
    Options
    Thermopile

What JH is referring to is a Thermopile. Does your system have one of those?
This discussion has been closed.