Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What transformer to use

Options
cutter
cutter Member Posts: 292
I currently have a four zone hot water heating system and want to add two more zones and possibly one more to make seven. On a piece of Honeywell information I have it says a AT87A transformer will power up to five zone valves. What transformer would I need to power up seven. Two of the additional zones are in floor heat so I would not really need zone valves for them If I put in extra pumps. Would it hurt to have extra capacity on the transformer?

I am new to this site as you can tell. Is this site just for Oil, gas, and electric systems or is there people that know a little about connecting electrically an oil and a wood fired boiler? And maybe even some piping suggestion between the two?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    What valves

What kind of zone valves?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    Answers

The best minds in the industry hang out here and can certainly address your above-mentioned questions.
    Steve Minnich
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    The figure Honeywell gives

Comes from their assumption of 320 mA per zone valve, which is what their V4043/8043 valves require.  Assuming you have those valves and you want to power them all off the same transformer, you would need one with at least 54 VA of capacity.  Most lines I know of offer 50VA and 75VA options.  You would need the 75VA model.

You could also add another 40VA transformer just for the new zones (assuming you don't have us kind of relay control which uses a single 24 VAC source.)
  • cutter
    cutter Member Posts: 292
    Options
    Honeywell V8043E 1020 and 1012 zone valves

When I asked about the transformer I thought I had put the zone valves that I was using in the message, guess not.
This discussion has been closed.