Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Munchkin T80 - Maintenance questions

Sea044
Sea044 Member Posts: 2
Homeowner in Seattle, WA. I have had a T80 for 6 years. The only issue so far has been the replacement of the swirl plate (after it developed the "whoop" noise).

I must note here that my mechanic was on the phone with HTP and got great support.

The unit gets maintained every year (used for hot water and heat).

Unfortunately, I lost my mechanic to retirement. For this year's maintenance,  the recommended contractor sent in a someone who cracked the plastic drain collector (and did not fess up). After the cleaning, he didn't perform a gas analysis, which my previous mechanic did. "If the boiler runs well, we don't do it" was his statement.

Question 1: Is a gas analysis part of the regular maintenance or not?

A search for more information led me to this forum where I also found much to read about the T80.

Question 2: Considering the wide range of opinions about the T80, would it be worth acquiring a functioning 4 year-old used (R2) unit as a future replacement or parts donor? (pulled from a remodel).

Tks.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    Yes an analysis is part of

annual maintenance and should be done.

If the unit is running and you are satisfied you do not need to change anything.
  • bld999
    bld999 Member Posts: 47
    What cost would

the donor take-out boiler be? HTP doesn't apparently make the T80 anymore, so some consumables may be easy to find in the future, but maybe not the big stuff.

If you are hands -on you could learn to do annual maint. yourself pretty easily. I taught myself on a couple NTi boilers I have, it takes me about 2.5 hrs to do the pair of them annually.  If I get in a jam I have some names of people familiar with them.

Combustion testers are for sale as well. Or ask around for a pro who has experience with that boiler. There should be quite a few in the Seattle metro area.
  • Sea044
    Sea044 Member Posts: 2
    T80 donor price

I am not sure how to price a used boiler. Opportunity cost of parts, etc?  Is $500 fair, too much?  too little? (I am assuming the swirl plate isn't good)
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    combustion testing

combustion testing of high efficient boilers should be done yearly.

If you had to replace the swirl plate I would check to make sure you are not getting exhaust reversion. The vent pipe should be at least 18 inches above the intake.

If you find another T80 make sure it is not an 04 - they had vent problems inside the boiler.

Personally I would maintain what you have and replace it with the EFT version when it fails.
This discussion has been closed.